- Vienna University of Economics & Business
- University of Innsbruck
- Höhne, In der Maur & Partner Rechtsanwälte OG
- Semantic Web Company GmbH
DALICC stands for Data Licenses Clearance Center. It is a software framework that supports legal experts, innovation managers and application developers in the legally secure reutilization of third party data sources. The DALICC framework supports the automated clearance of rights, thus helping to detect licensing conflicts and significantly reducing the costs of rights clearance in the creation of derivative works.
Clearing and negotiating right issues
Modern IT applications increasingly retrieve, store and process data from a variety of sources. This can raise questions about the compatibility of licenses and the application's compliance with existing law. Issues of rights clearance are especially relevant in the creation of derivative works compiled from multiple data sources. Clearing and negotiating rights issues is a time-consuming, complex and error-prone task.
Challenges associated with clearance issues are:
- High transaction costs in the manual clearance of licensing terms and conditions
- Sufficient expertise to detect compatibility conflicts between two or more licenses
- Negotiation and resolution of licensing conflicts between involved parties
To meet tackle the problems described above, the DALICC software framework will consist of four modules:
- License Composer: Lets a user create customized licenses.
- License Library: Lets a user choose from a set of standard licenses.
- License Annotator: Provides a user with a machine-readable and human-readable versionof your license.
- License Negotiator: Checks compatibility, detects conflicts and supports conflict resolution.
Copyright: FH St. Pölten / Pellegrini
Benefits and market perspective
DALICC is primarily addressing the following target groups: commercial data suppliers, commercial data aggregators, app developers and service providers, law firms and legal divisions of companies or public organisations and open source and open data initiatives.
These target groups and stakeholders benefit in the following way:
DALICC will provide a user-friendly framework that allows to easily create and attach licenses in human-readable and machine-readable form to a dataset and derivatives thereof. DALICC allows the cost effective check of license compatibility in the creation of derivative works, thus significantly reducing transaction costs associated with the legally secure provision and reutilization of data. DALICC's technical components are generic in design and can be extended to other areas of rights clearance like privacy law or competition law, thus extending its applicability to content or software and stimulating the expansion of the data economy.
Find out more on our project website!
Im Datendschungel von Big Data und Digitalisierung
Publication date: 13.04.2018
Medium: Campus & City Radio 94.4
Author: Anna Michalski
You want to know more? Feel free to ask!
Department of Media and Economics